Inspired by an observant Greek Orthodox friend. During Lent, Eastern Rite Christians abstain from eating all animal products – western culture’s original (periodic) vegans! Though humble in appearance, this muffin is moist, sweet and flavorful.
INGREDIENTS (Enough for 12 jumbo muffins at about 100 grams each.)
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1.5 cups almond meal
* 1 cup toasted coconunt (finely shredded)
* 2 tsp baking soda
* 1.5 tsp salt
* 1 Tbsp cinnamon
* 1 12oz can of (sliced/chunks/crushed) pineapple (use the juice)
* 5 medium bananas (very ripe; best if frozen then thawed)
* 2/3 cup Agave nectar
* 3/4 cup coconut oil ( I would reduce this to 1/2 cup next time as a test.)
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Grease muffin tins or use paper muffin cups for 12 large/jumbo muffins.
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside
4. Place pineapple and bananas in a food processor and pulse until
consistency of slightly chunky apple sauce.
5. Add fruit mixture to dry ingredients, then add agave nectar, coconut oil and vanilla.
6. Stir mixture until well combined. Do not over mix.
7. Fill muffin wells with approx. 100 grams each of mixture (digital scale)
8. Place in oven.
9. After 5 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (or 325 F in
a convection oven).
10.After 15 minutes more, insert a toothpick into a muffin to see if it is
done. Toothpick comes out clean when the muffin is done.
ENJOY A SWEET TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS